Friday, 27 June 2008

End of an Era

Well, finally, I have got off my lazy ass to write this entry about my last day at TATA/AMEX. It was a very sad occasion, as I have been at AMEX for about 7 years, and 2.5 of it with TATA. My longest job EVER. Reason why I left? I missed all the hands-on programming/developing and learning new technologies, which my current role did not allow me to explore. So, it was either get out of my comfort-zone and do as I do daily, or get out into the real world, and be a lost little puppy again.

I think one of the things that got me thinking about a change, was when Rajendra (fellow TATA workmate and a very nice fellow) sent an email about Adobe Air, and I'm practically jumping out of my seat, going "ooooh, excitement plus!!!" Luckily I refrained from clapping my hands as well, how embarrassing, the people on the floor would probably think I deserved a trip to the looney bin. And after the initial high, I came crashing down back to earth and thinking, oh I don't have time to learn it!! (I do have a very active social life, which I do not want to sacrifice - work/life balance and all that, yadda yadda)!

Then the workload started getting less and less (due to work being pushed overseas) and basically, I was just doing admin, and assisting the team here and there with requests and projects. Oh, and I cannot forget budgeting/forecasting/chasing funds, etc. that I was still doing. Oh, the horror! It's probably something I would want to avoid in future, but I'm glad I got a go at it, to know how boring it was, and that I never want to do it again.

So, I made a difficult decision (because I am a contented person) to resign from the current role, and test out my skills and experience in the open market.

My time with AMEX/TATA has come to an end!

I do appreciate the experience that both companies have provided me with, i.e. working in a large corporation (with as many processes as ants in an ant colony), learning different technologies (not entirely new, but different), improving my people skills, project management skills, as well as team leadership skills (thank you, offshore team, for actually listening to me, and following through on my advice and guidance. It would have been a totally different story if no one listened!).

Judging by all the comments on my farewell card, I seemed to have done an okay job, so I'm quite proud of my achievements in the last 7 years! Woohoo!

Now, on my last day, Ashwin (such a nice guy), and Akiko (very generous, kind-hearted person) made a few sacrifices for me. Ashwin stayed up til almost midnight, the night before, decorating my workspace with balloons and streamers. It was such a lovely sight to walk into on that last morning. And Akiko was running around the floor (we are located on different floors, so I didn't see any of this), "making" my farewell card, as well as getting everyone to sign it. She was so busy that she had to put an Out of Office on her email, just in case people would yell at her for not replying quickly for several of her projects.

After all that, why would I want to leave with such great workmates? Well, they can only get you so far in life! Heheh...just joshing!! I have made wonderful, and life-long friends as a result of this job, and I am very thankful for being involved in each of your lives, especially being in India for a month! That was terrific, and special thanks to Ashwin for making it easy for me to adapt to the Indian life-style.

I'm going to post up some pictures at a later time of the last day, so be sure, that there will be another update coming. I will give an ETA of within the next month, or even the next week. ;)

Goodbye, and of course, keep in touch, and keep reading!

No comments: