Finally met Tony (sitting on the right), one of the original offshore team members that I worked with over email. He has since moved on to bigger and better things with a rival company. He came along with Ashwin and I, to go to Munnar, which is about a 3hr drive from where we are staying. We hired the car and a drivefr, it cost about at least 2000 rupees for the whole thing, about $60 for the whole day. It's very convenient to have a driver, they drop you off where you want to go, and go find parking somewhere, and wait for you.Munnar is a town, that's near a mountain, with plenty of touristy things to see. There is a tea plantation owned by TATA (one of the biggest companies in India, they practically have their name on everything), a big waterfall (very small at this time of year, monsoon hasn't started yet, see left with the boys), speed boating, and some scenic places, which they call "hill stations," basically lookout points at various spots along the mountain.
The TATA tea plantation, it's EVERYWHERE. You see rolling hills covered in pillow-like shrubs, makes the hills look like they're covered in carpet, that you could almost walk all over.
They utilise cheap human labour, to cut the leaves, where they have special scissors and a bag attached to their wrist, so when they cut the leaves, it drops into the bag. They then carry the filled-up bags into a truck to transport it to the tea factory to be processed.
To be processed in a factory
Rajamalayi National Park is where you can see the natural habitat of Nilgiritahrs, a breed of goat. Their horns appear really sharp, and they have a patch of black on their knees, looking like knee pads. The national park covers 98km square, and we're only allowed to walk 2km square of it. It covers the the peak of the mountain, apparently this mountain is the highest peak in the state. Apparently, there's elephants and tigers, but we only saw the Nilgiritahrs. That was enough for me...Previously, you could drive from the entrance into the park, but now they have shuttle buses (20rupees each), because last time, someone goat-napped one of the nilgiritahrs and took it home. Alot of indians from neighbouring states come and see these goats, so, alot of ppl come through. They also blocked off parts of the mountain, because someone had committed suicide by jumping off the cliff.
The weather here is much more bearable than back in Kochi, much to my liking. Cooler, fresher, and cleaner air to clear your lungs with. It was probably about 10 degrees cooler.















9 comments:
Look at you and your swannies cap ... And shouldn't you be donning a sari? That would be (literally) be indianism ON you!
I like "mudaputty" dam. Thankfully there's more water in it than mud'and'putty.
All that food and no exercise ... ;p
Hi Shar! Sounds like a good weekend! That tea plantation looks great - your descriptions are quite poetic hehe!
And the goats are funny too. I wonder if they make goat curry out of them..heeeee..
Ooh, I have comments!! :) Oh, well granted I did get comments from the boys below, but I now have time to reply. :)
They make 'mutton' curry!! Good one, Beck!
And Marissa, heehee, I never thought of Mudaputty that way, except, they always pronounce it, Moo-dah-pooty! :)
Shar, chk again, methinks its Mattuppetty dam! :O)
Good find, Lit! You are totally correct, I don't know how I came up with the Mudaputty, even my indian friends didn't correct me when they read the blog.
well that aint true...one of them eventually did:O)
Oh, btw, Ashwin mentioned that the spelling of the place can be done in many ways, so in the end, maybe I wasn't dyslexic and misread the sign I saw.
But, Mattuppetty is the correct official english spelling.
enjoy the rest of ur stay ;O)
ifyu havent been to 'Grand Hotel' yet, try some local favourites -i suggest 'appam' and prawns curry- there...yummy stuff there :O)
its sad we cudnt meet before i left for SG..keep touch!
-LiT
Vineeth! Is that you?!? :) I went to the 'Renaissance' for lunch today!
Unfortunately, prawns are one of the things, I really cannot stand.
Appam is that pancakey thing made of cornflour? I had that at the hotel, too, funny that you mentioned it today!
Yes, damn shame that I couldn't see you before you moved. I have a stopover in SG tomorrow, you're welcome to party at the airport, in the customs area!
Post a Comment