After two whole weeks of having a meal of curry per day (going against Rebecca's sound advice, I am drinking lots of water, though, hehe), my stomach lining decided to conk out. It was not a good feeling. During the Munnar trip, I had forgotten my packet of tissues, and of course, they do not have TISSUES anywhere in the countryside. Ashwin and Tony were looking at me strangely, or probably thinking you silly duffer, but they were good sports in trying to find me napkins, at least, to use. Even the masala dosai (on a banana leaf, how authentic!) I had during lunch, caused my stomach to stir its acids, and it wasn't hot-spicy at all, it was very yummy. But I couldn't finish it, for the fear of having to endure stomach cramps on the 3hr car journey back home.
Phewww.....so this beginning 3rd week here in India, I was on a detox diet of, basically, no curry at all. I had to rotate between, stir-fry noodles, sandwiches, fruit, chicken fried rice, and back again. Mixing it a bit, chicken sandwiches, with cheese sandwiches, or vegetable fried noodles, and chicken fried noodles. Oh, also, we ate at a swish hotel on the way back to Munnar, I had chicken stroganoff, but bad choice on the hot and sour soup entree. It was quite peppery, so I only drank half of it. My stomach was growling at me to STOP torturing it with all these mixed spices.
Now, nearing the end of the 3rd week, I can begin to eat curry again, like tonight, I'll be having egg curry with pappadums, and rice. Can't wait!! I know, vicious cycle, but it's definitely very worth it for those few minutes of eating!!!
Oh and they have a Pizza Hut here (one store in the city), Ashwin took me on his very cool motorbike, and we were zooming all over the place, ducking between cars, dodging on-coming traffic, and then speeding down the straight, 90km/hr with NO helmet, scary and thrilling at the same time. Pizza Hut is the place where they definitely provide you with cutlery, except you would use your hands.
And yes, they also have my favourite, KFC! I haven't seen it yet, though. :(
5 comments:
Hi Shar,
ah-ha! I love how this is becoming a food blog! hehe! I dont know how your stomach kept up with you for so long! Good to hear you are keeping up the fluids.(har har)
BTW Do they drink alot of Chai there? That's my fave at the moment coz it's raining and freezing cold here!
Go the Dosai!
Bex, they actually drink alot of different types of tea, here, and chai is one of them. But I tried the Cardamom, and there's Masala (haven't tried that yet), and it's very delish.
And due to the humidity of this place, I'm always carrying 1L bottles with me everywhere, so, yes, you could say I'm keeping up with the fluids.
One more week, and this blog is kaput! How sad....
How about I buy you KFC (2 piece feed upsize) when you get back?
I don't think the curry caused the stomach cramps. Can't be! YOU? Finally chillified out??! Wow, must be a record. Anyway, the look of all those non-curry dishes must have had you longing for more curry. Perhaps you can take some antacids? See if they help? Are you sure it just wasn't that time of the month?
heheh no, it wasn't that time of month, I had it under control. ;)
You know the feeling, you eat something, and it wants to come straight out, like a few minutes after eating? I didn't really get cramps, it wasn't painful stomach aches, just very noisy and grumbly.
Post a Comment