Thursday, 31 May 2007

On the way to work...

I travel on an 'auto' known as a motorised rickshaw. It's the cheapest form of travel, and I had questioned why it's called an 'auto', since all vehicles are automobiles. The conclusion was because there's alot of them so they can reserve the word auto. The cost of travel to work is 35rupees one way, door-to-door, which is just over $1. Wow, bargain!

(I have, since, found out that the real name is 'automatic rickshaws' so that's why they're called autos)


On the way, I pass quite a few things. An outdoor seafood stall (don't know how the fish stay fresh in this heat), alot of ppl, walking, or waiting to catch the bus (which are always chockas full). On the roads, the traffic isn't as bad since we're on the outskirts of the main city, so it's not standstill traffic. Well, if there is traffic, my auto decides to just dodge everything just to keep moving. And there are no footpaths for people to walk on, so, besides other vehicles, you need to dodge ppl. The one rule when crossing the road, do not run, and keep walking, never stop, they will avoid you.

Here are a few things I see on the way to work....


Up close and personal with a truck's behind, or facing a "red-killer" on the roads. Apparently the "red-killers" do not brake.



A roadside hut, used for selling things. Indian female students (hope they didn't think I was a stalker), and there's quite alot of land not being utilised, all dirt.


Here's the road-side fish-market (ewwww!), and a land-fill. Everytime I go past these places, I hold my breath

No comments: